Where do we post feedback for the product team?

I want to pass on feedback to the product team that the complexity results are really not actionable. It’s a general alert “Complexity increased by 18%” - okay, great. What files? Why? What can I do to fix it? Honestly, this is an area that CodeClimate nails, and Codacy is really lacking.

In terms of feedback for this community forum, it’s not really clear where I post that. And I don’t feel confident that my message will actually make its way to the correct people.

hey @bmulholland

Rafael, PM at Codacy here :wave:
Thanks for reaching out, feedback is always appreciated.

It’s a general alert “Complexity increased by 18%” - okay, great.

Can you help me understand what view are you referring to? Do you mean the page where you see a pull request results?

(…) complexity results are really not actionable. (…) What files? Why? What can I do to fix it? Honestly, this is an area that CodeClimate nails, and Codacy is really lacking.

Do you mind elaborating a bit, how would these make complexity results more actionable for you? And from CodeClimate, what worked well for you?

In terms of feedback for this community forum, it’s not really clear where I post that. And I don’t feel confident that my message will actually make its way to the correct people.

Noted. We’re aware of posts in the community, regardless of the topic they are posted in. If you don’t feel comfortable posting publicly, you can always reach out using the in-app chat - see follow those conversations too.

Ah - looks like in-app chat was blocked by my adblocker. I’ll use that next time. Thanks!

I see that complexity error in Github. On the PR view in Codacy, I also see the alert as “+18 Complexity” on the top right.

At a minimum, I’d want to see which files are too complex. Ideally there would be more granularity, too, such as what parts are considered complex. CodeClimate used to show me specific sections of code that were too complex, and a PR was failed not as an aggregate complexity but based on individual files that got too complex.

2 Likes

Also - hi! Nice to e-meet you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just to put it differently: so my PR failed because the complexity is too high. What do I do next?

• I can’t see which files caused that
  • I can’t see what about those files is new complexity
  • There is no tab for “complexity”
  • The “Flles” tab seems to just show ALL files, not just ones changed in this PR
  • I can’t sort by complexity on the files tab
  • The “Files” tab seems to be limited to show only some files, so I can’t even manually look in the list for the files I changed
  • Nothing shows up in the “New issues” tab

So there is literally nothing to look at, much less any helpful guidance about what is wrong. Just a failing status and number, with no detail.

2 Likes

Thank you for all the insights. :heart:

For context, we’re planning two initiatives for reviewing how we present the code quality metrics at company level, including Complexity, and how easy it is to understand them at the pull request level that will hopefully address your concerns. When we start working on them, we’ll incorporate your feedback, and if you’re available, we’ll reach out to have you involved in the development process.

Happy to be involved in the development process of this. I’ve gotten pretty deep into this area and probably have some helpful insight to share.

2 Likes