Pulse and Codacy Q&A: Your questions from the webinar, with answers

Hi there,

During our last webinar, we had a Q&A and received a lot of questions from the audience. Did you ask one of those questions, or maybe you missed the webinar? Here is a quick overview:

The list of teams comes from Jira or GitHub or both? (00:39:16)

The list of teams you see on the Accelerate dashboard comes from GitHub. We don’t have a team filter on the Lead & Cycle time dashboard yet, but we’re working on it! For now, you can filter by project or by Jira boards.

Do you have SSO and integration with the existing Codacy platform, so I do not need to reconfigure these? (00:39:57)

Since we wanted to bring Pulse to market as soon as possible, we started it with a user base from scratch, so we currently don’t have integration between Codacy and Pulse. As such, user management and accounts are different from Codacy, but we’re working on this unification so that you only have one account, one integration.

What integrations are available at this time? Which integrations are planned? (00:40:42); and Do you support BitBucket (00:43:37)?

Currently, Pulse has integrations with:

In terms of future integrations, we’re planning to expand the source code management tools to include BitBucket and GitLab. If you use anything different from PagerDuty, let us know so that we can prioritize that integration as well.

Is a Git repo the only identifier for a project, or can another source of truth be used? (00:42:11)

With the automatic GitHub integration, we associate the identifier with the repository. However, you can use our CLI to specify the identifier you want.

Is there a plan to add group_by so I can compare projects/teams for the different metrics? (00:42:57)

Yes! It is one of the most requested features, and it should be coming out very soon! Our idea is to show you how the different teams compare to each other and which are the lowest-performing teams so that you can focus on helping them.

I have a repo; how can I connect it with Pulse, and what changes do I need to do in my code so Codacy will give me profiling info? (00:43:57)

We are still not using any information from Codacy, but that’s on our roadmap. About your repo, if you are using GitHub, you just need to signup to Pulse, click on install Github, and you are good to go! It’s a one-click integration.

Pulse Get started

Check out our documentation if you are not using GitHub but still want to try Pulse. You can add a script to your deployment pipeline that does everything for you :wink:

How do you foresee access to these graphs and the underlying data? The examples shown are hard to analyze due to outliers. The ability to swap between median, mean average would be needed, as would be logarithmic axes (00:44:58)

We’re looking into two options to deal with outliers in the data: one way is to add more complexity to the analysis with median, average, and other metrics. Another way is to automate the translation of data into actionable insights so that you don’t need to interpret the charts – we would give you a few sentences with all the information you need.

How do you correlate the Lead time to the production Deployment date/time? It appears that you’re just measuring the pull request process. (00:46:02)

We’ve different levels of granularity, depending on the precision you need. By default, the GitHub integration is connected to the PR process – this is the option with less effort. If you’re using semantic version tagging, Pulse also detects it and uses it for greater precision. Plus, if you’re willing to use the CLI / API, it works with the GitHub integration.

Do you have any more questions for us? Let us know in the comments and we will get them answered!

Thank you everyone who attended, we enjoyed answering your questions!
If you couldn’t make it, you can still:

:point_right: Watch the complete recording
:point_right: Read the overview of what we talked about

1 Like